Monday, March 29, 2010

Proverbs 22

Proverbs 22:28 "Do not move an ancient boundary stone set up by your forefathers."

Contentment in 21st century America is a tough task. One joke around our house is that I am waiting for a new plasma TV, and the joke is that the size of the TV grows every time I talk about it. First, it was a 40 inch TV, now it's up to around 60 inches. Which means I want a TV with a diagonal measurement almost my own height! Now, do I actually want this TV? Yes... but do I need the TV? No. But then again, we are bombarded by up to 3000 marketing messages in a day- and some of those are 60 inch plasma TV's.

Contentment is God's answer to coveting. In this proverb, people are warned against moving "boundary stones." Owning property was equal to wealth in the day of Ancient Israelites, and discontent property owners would occasionally wish they had a little more land, or wish they had a neighbor's better land for crops. So they would move the stones that marked the property lines just a little each day. The neighbor wouldn't notice until it was too late, and there would be no proof of the crime. How is it that we can be content with what we have? The answer comes in God, who is the same whether or not we have all the stuff or whether we have nothing (Proverbs 22:2).

How do you find contentment in God? What are the "boundary stones" in your life that you are tempted to move?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,
    Contentment is so appropriate in these times. Not just in things we have but lately for me it has been in things I do. My last child is graduating...I am laid off from my job and finding myself asking God what next. Since I was feeling pretty sorry for myself that God wasn't giving me "meaningful ministry" I emailed a friend with my complaint. This friend sent me a message back that has changed me to the core. You see she is dying from Lou Gehrigs disease. She has a rare form that is in reverse. Usually this disease disables your legs and arms first than you lose your voice and the ability to swallow. She actually has lost her voice and ability to swallow first which makes her mobile but unable to communicate. That was always her gift to me. Words. She responded lovinly as usual but also shared with me how God had used her just the other day. She was walking into Miejer and said a quick prayer that God would use her that day in some way. She said that she had seen an old friend and at this point all she can do is hug, so she gave her friend a huge long hug. When she was done she looked over at a woman, a stranger just watching. That stranger walked up to her and said "I need a hug like that today". So she hugged her too. No words, just a hug them she left. She knew God touched that woman that day. I was humbled.
    To answer you question? To find contentment in God is to stop thinking so much about myself and I seem to trip over the ministry boundary stones a lot because they are closer than I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sallie,

    Great story! It is an encouragement to me today. I'll be praying as God shows you what's next.

    Blessings always,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouraging words of both of you! I think that coveting and contentment have been the biggest temptations I have faced in my life. Especially here in this environment where resorters and "summer people" seem to come to this area and spend so much money! God has blessed me with a wonderful family, more than I could ask. All three of my family members are believers and growing disciples of Christ. That in itself is reason to just live in incredible joy every day. When I have found times of discontent, it's really an issue of not trusting God enough and not respecting His Lordship in my life. It's as if He's asking, "So you don't think I've done enough or given you what you need?" What a slap in the face of God! This Holy Week is time of great appreciation and praise for who God is. I'm more and more overwhelmed by His greatness and providence. Thanks for your thoughts Sallie. Bless you Andy
    Even as I write this, my words seem so trite to express what I am feeling. I wish it didn't sound so much like a cliche.

    ReplyDelete