Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Psalm 17

There's a lot in this psalm that I could turn to and unpack, but I find myself drawn to the last verse of this psalm "And I—in righteousness I will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness."

I'm honestly not quite sure that I can imagine what it will be like to see the face of God. But I like the God who I can be satisfied looking at. Like two lovers who can say a world of words in a simple gaze, I can be complete sitting on the ground looking up at God and I can know perfect love as God looks at me.

This is not the God many of us know. The God many of us know is someone we should be terrified of looking at. For we know that this God will look at us disapprovingly, this God will have a glare that humbles us.

Psychologists have let us know that we learn a lot about people just from the face (especially as children). We learn very early what facial expressions reveal happiness and sadness, and we also learn what it means to be gazed at. The gaze can be one of approval, such as a young man entranced by the beauty of a young woman. The gaze can be one of disapproval, such as a parent locking eyes with a child who is acting out in public. But the gaze is important to us- and it's possible that we were built to seek out God's face. It's possible that we were born to seek out the loving gaze of God. May we be satisfied in our hunt to see God's face and loving gaze today.

No comments:

Post a Comment