Friday, November 5, 2010

Psalm 81

I heard an unknown voice say...

What an interesting shift in the psalm. It starts with a decree for worship, musical instruments and all, and all of a sudden a voice breaks in on the psalm and changes the whole direction. Of course, it doesn't take too long before the mysterious voice is revealed to be God, the same God of the Exodus. Yet Asaph is content to never announce that God's voice is breaking in.

I can appreciate how this psalm is written, because I am sometimes (if not often) surprised at how God shows up in both dramatic and subtle ways. I could tell of times even in the past few weeks where God showed up at a time that I would have expected (a quiet time of meditation) yet in a way that I would never have expected (unearthing a thought that was brutally honest). And as soon as that happened, it seemed like I went through a shift. Now, in that moment, I was waiting for God and God was faithful. But that does not need to be the case. What is great about God is that God does not need the conditions to be perfect in order to communicate with us. God can surprise us. I pray that your encounters with God are surprising and meaningful this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment