Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Everything I Love About Summer

Memorial Day weekend this year was nothing short of amazing. It included everything I love about summer. I was able to run, bike and kayak in the best environments God has to offer. And while my bike was sometimes an effort to just keep the wheels moving, my run was more of a climb and the kayak was sometimes a fight against the wind and waves, there were also moments of pure exhilaration. But nature was not always so welcoming this weekend, as an incredible thunderstorm thundered through the area with intensity and power. This I also love about summer. Psalm 19:1 imprints itself once again on my mind: "The heavens declare the glory of God, the skies proclaim the work of his hands."

Beyond the weather and the outside activity, I love how summer encourages us to intentionally enjoy each other's company. I was rarely alone the whole weekend. When I kayaked, it was with a friend. Three of the four nights of Memorial Day were spent with friends. Sunday morning worship was a great time of welcoming our summer crowd back into the fold. Psalm 133:1 resounds with me, "How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!"

I couldn't get too far without talking about food. My dear love of food was not disappointed as the grill fired up and churned out delicious burgers and steaks. Combine that with a stop at the world-famous (or at least, should be world-famous) Leland Cheese Shanty and eating became more enjoyable. Psalm 63:3-5 gives me a glimpse of heaven through the feeling of satisfaction: "Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you."

So yes, this weekend held great promise of everything I love about summer. The Psalms give me a language to express my gratitude and to remind me that these gifts, like all gifts, come from a loving God. Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment