Thursday, June 7, 2012

The edge of understanding

Over the past couple weeks, I spent about five days teaching World Religions at Glen Lake Middle School, and I feel some sense of loss now that I am done with my time. In fact, the students are taking a test on the information I gave them today. I wish them all the best and hope that the test-taking allows them to internalize the stuff they learned.

So why would a pastor be sharing about Islam, Christianity and Judaism in a school?

I came across a Proverb this morning that really puts things in perspective: "The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding" (Proverbs 4:7).

We have a duty to get understanding. Part of loving our neighbor as ourselves means knowing people as we would wish to be known. A few posts ago, I posted about how disgusted I was when a pastor preached about locking gay people behind electrified fences, and how sad I was that the video went viral. I am saddened when the way of Christ is equated to that kind of hatred. And so I would be horrified if that was someone's first experience of Christianity. In the same way, if I want to love my neighbor, I have a responsibility to learn about how my neighbor truly thinks.

I have to admit, I got a little preachy in the class. A student asked how long it takes to learn about other people's religions. I gave the standard answer of how long it took to get my degree, then I backtracked. My final answer was "forever." The students groaned at the possibility of learning forever (especially during the last week of class), but I stuck with it.

I told them that we all have a line where our understanding turns to ignorance. In other words, I don't know everything. I don't understand everything. And the sad reality is that when I harbor ignorance toward my neighbor, it usually expresses itself in mistrust. And mistrust, as we see in the interpersonal and the international spheres, often ends in violence. And so the lifelong dedication to understanding is the only cure for the bitter root of ignorance to set in and make us less than we could be.

Proverbs 4:7 says that even if it costs everything we have, we ought to pursue understanding. It sounds a lot like a guy who said "Take up your cross daily and follow me." So today, chase wisdom and understanding, and may God bless you in your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment