Friday, August 6, 2010

Psalm 41

It would be easy to read most of this psalm and see it as another one of David's pleas for justice in regards to his enemies. However, the opening of the psalm gives us an interesting peek into the basis of David's ideas of justice and righteousness. Verse 1 begins with "Blessed is the one who has regard for the weak..." and the rest of the psalm follows.

I will admit that sometimes it is hard for me to have regard for the weak. That means that I can't ignore what I don't want to see. I have to face reality in all of its beauty and all of its ugliness. I would rather focus only on the strong and be happy about how great everything is.

God calls us to something deeper, though, to voluntarily have regard for the weak and to use our strength (which ends up being God's strength) on the behalf of others. And that's hard to do. In fact, it's hard to even remember to do it! So my prayer for myself and all of you today is to keep your eyes open to the weak so that all might see God's grace in you. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. a friend said to me, "When God bring a need before you, respond to it."
    It is hard, you are learning young.

    dz,baptized into Jesus Christ

    ReplyDelete