Tuesday, August 2, 2011

John 1:35-42

My apologies for the three weeks this went unedited. It does not keep with my commitment to update at least twice a week. But welcome back to the book of John.

I have a ton of respect for John the Baptist. Here is a guy who truly lived what he believed. John says the right things "I must decrease so that He may increase," but when push comes to shove, is John willing to give up anything for the sake of Jesus?

The answer is yes- even his most prized "possessions." For a teacher to lose students would be a shameful thing in his day. The more students you had, the better teacher you were. But John happily sends two of his disciples along to Jesus, decreasing so that Jesus may increase.

And this is an important moment in Jesus' ministry, because one of John's followers is a guy named Andrew (a most respectable name, if you ask me). Andrew is Peter's brother, and Peter will become the rock on which Jesus will build a Church. Andrew gets so fired up that he invites Peter with the claim that they have found the Messiah.

Today I hope for the sacrificial humility of John and the excitement of Andrew for myself and for all who follow Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment