Friday, August 26, 2011

John 5:31-47

What is the source of life?

One would think that, given the healing Jesus just performed, the answer would be obvious. And given what we know about Jesus' death and resurrection, we would be better equipped for the answer than the people of Jesus' day. Yet, when I carefully examine my life, I wonder what the source is.

Sometimes, it is myself. I place a lot of trust in my ability to work and produce the means for life. I am conscious about my health (moreso than I once was), and do everything from regular chiropractic care to watching how I eat to exercising 4-6 days per week. I place a lot of trust in my strength. Sometimes, though, my strength fails me. At seemingly random times, my muscles will not do as they are intended.

My trust flows out into money. We place a lot of trust in money. We even call them "trusts" sometimes. Our money buys the necessities of life- food, shelter, clothes, etc. And I spend devotional time with my money- checking accounts, meditating on how to better use the money I have. It's a spiritual experience.

Jesus is the true source of life. Jesus, far more than health or money or relationships, is the One in whom I live and move and have my being. It is possible to master Biblical knowledge and not know Jesus. It is possible to be in top physical shape and not know Jesus. It is possible to be filthy rich and not know Jesus. However, it is not possible to live or have the abundant life without Jesus desiring it for me. So today, as I move toward the weekend, my hope is that I will continue to take strides toward Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment