Thursday, October 13, 2011

The God of the Spirits of all Humankind- Embracing Uniqueness

One of the best conversations I ever had went something like this... Me: "Is that something loose coming off your truck?" Dude: "No, it's tied down, why?" Me: "We are in (unnamed town near my hometown of Holland, known as hillbilly country). I don't want to pull over the car and hear dueling banjos." Dude (while laughing): "There are days I am surprised you are going to be a pastor. And I love it." I look back on that conversation with some pride. In the dude's mind, a pastor represented certain traits and tendencies. Controlling, judgmental attitudes and a refusal to walk alongside people are among the traits that were expected among clergy. And there are plenty of examples to reinforce that attitude. And I have had to work through all of those things. I can be pretty judgmental, and the anger that comes from that is not among my more attractive features. However, God has given me victory over some of those things in my life and I have been able to drop some of my former judgments and love people. But what got me was not a pride of "I'm better than others," but a celebration of my uniqueness. I like to think that I have embraced uniqueness as a pastor. I'm never in a suit unless at an official function. But I'm also not cool. I'm not an athlete, I'm not really handy around anything, I'm not a good artist or musician, there's a lot of things that I am not. I try not to focus on those things, but the sin of envy creeps in and I wish I could be one of those things. And then I feel guilty for feeling that way, and then I envy people who seemingly don't feel that way. I imagine by this point you can understand the vicious cycle this can present in me. But then I reflect on the God of the spirits of all humankind, and I can embrace my uniqueness more. I am not defined by the things I am not- I am defined by the God who created me, loves me, sustains me and fills me. I am gifted to live out my purpose in God. And while I have thought about what my purpose is, I think it comes down to this: I am created for good conversations with people. I am uniquely created to do this. I am interested in so many things that I can engage in conversation about just about anything. I feel alive when I'm sitting with someone and hearing their heart or their story. I am motivated when great conversations turn into action beyond my imagination. I am willing to look ridiculous if it means that I can build a bridge with another person (just ask anyone who witnessed me play soccer in Kenya- and who witnessed my limping the next day). On my worst days, I wish I could be you. On my best days, I am having good, if not great, conversations where I can share the God of the spirits of all humankind. What's your purpose? Have you embraced your uniqueness in the body of Christ?

2 comments:

  1. Good morning!!! I think being close to Him allows me to be OK with who I am in Him. In fact, reflecting on who we are in Him are the thoughts that give me the most freedom to be, well, just me and probably, at the same time, who He wants me to be. Being His today and always, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,
    Thank you for your willingness to be open and honest. You have expressed the thoughts of many who are not satisfied with who they are. I pray that all of us would listen for God's encouragement to be and do His will. I took a Spiritual Gifts class once and remember thinking I wish has so-and-so's gift. Then I read Purposeful Living and came to the realization that we are a body - with many gifts, no one better than the other, but all together a whole. There is power in that. - in working together and encouraging each other's gifts. I want very much to do that. - at church and in the community.

    ReplyDelete