Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I am the God who brought you: Wrestling the "Thou Shalt Nots"

"God said it. I believe it. That settles it." Thus is a bumper sticker available for purchase. Before you click the link, please wait. Because there are some deeply troubling aspects to this theology. For one, it presupposes that God does not want us to think. It wants us to pick up the Word, and do exactly what it says, and we'll be fine. Now, obedience to God is incredibly important. However, that way of viewing the Bible also leads to a moralist God. This God does not want to be known, engaged, or united with. This God wants "nice people." The 10 Words are an important part of the Old Testament, and for many good reasons. On Sunday, I said that they begin to paint a picture of the world God is creating. We, in obeying these words, show the world a snapshot of the Kingdom- in fact, a snapshot of Jesus Christ. But why stop at just picking them up and doing them? After all, there is a neat conversation that could be had if we only read a little more closely. The 10 Words are mostly negative commands. But what are we supposed to do instead? If we are not misusing the name of the Lord, how do we appropriately use the name of the Lord? The 10 Words are the beginning to a conversation- Who is God? Who are we to be? The 10 Words are mostly limits, lines that ought not be crossed. I have not killed anyone, but what would it mean to value all life? On Sunday, the bulletin included a worksheet for continued thought, and one of the questions asked you to take one of the "commandments" and state it positively and in your own words. In the comments, I would invite you to share what you learned and how you what you discovered about God in the "Thou Shalt Not's."

5 comments:

  1. Andy, Good morning!!! I guess I'll start with the 1st commandment: "You shall have no other Gods before Me" Exodus 20:3 In the verse before God says: "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery." That's pretty positive. He not only delivered the Israelites back then, but frees and delivers us today from ourselves and is always ready, able and excited to do that. He is so active and alive in His redemption of humanity, it blows my mind. All other things should pale in comparison to Him, our Deliverer, Savior, King of Kings, Lord of Lords. Awesome and Indescribable is He!!! I think the positive statement of the 1st commandment is: "To love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind." The emphasis needs to be on the ALL part of the above for me.

    As I reread what I wrote it seems a bit disjointed, so please excuse the rambling. But, thanks again for challenging us, Alive and free indeed in Him, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. "you shall not give false testimony" can be said another way, I think. I think trust is earned by being honest and by faithfully following through with a commitment or promise. We learn quickly who we can count on in life and much of it has to do with being honest and trustworthy.
    Thanks for this, Andy. It's always good to look at things more positively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Bumper stickers! How challenging is it to portray a complex thought and get your point across in 8 words or less? Okay, I get it – they aren’t all complex – try this one on. Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to leave behind…..“I'll believe it, when I see it” - Heard it and used it exponentially while growing up. I never questioned, never paused to think, can this be true? Later in life, I was challenged to see things differently. “I’ll see it, when I believe it”.
    I’m wondering, what are my eyes closed to right now that I should see. What is possible if I place God ahead of everything? I believe the 1st Commandment asks us to do just that. Remove everything in its path and believe his promise, for if you do, the kingdom of God will be shown unto you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that idea! " I'll see it when I believe it." To believe without seeing is probably the most challenging part of being human.

    ReplyDelete