Friday, January 27, 2012

"Jesus is the Gate for the Sheep" (John 10): Life to the Full

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full," is one of Jesus' most famous quotations. Another way of wording that quote is having "abundant life." So what is an abundant life? Before reading further, take thirty seconds and imagine what "life to the full" means for you.




Honest confession: Mine looks like a Travel Channel special. I'm snorkeling (which I have done), kiteboarding (which I have never done), skydiving (which I have never done) and overall living on a yacht. My abundant life is even bigger than the Travel Channel-esque lifestyle I am living. I am stress free. I'm not even wearing shoes in my abundant life vision, because I'm not even walking on harsh surfaces. My life is a complete epitome of comfort. My imagination runs wild with what I would do if I could live abundantly. My imagination, dare I say, is a bit rebellious. This verse unlocks for myself and for others (I imagine) a vision of our future soaked in comfort and convenience. This, unfortunately, is not what Jesus seems to mean by "life to the full." And if we truly examine ourselves, we probably know that too.

Jesus is the model for an abundant life. Jesus lived life to the full. So how did Jesus live?

1) Jesus lived in constant connection with the Father. John 10:30, just a few verses after this conversation, Jesus says "I and the Father are One." Jesus wasn't simply giving His status as God, although the people certainly understood Him saying that. Jesus also talked about an experienced reality of His connection with God.

2) Jesus lived simply. Jesus was never concerned about His home, because He mostly didn't live in His own. Jesus drew a line in the sand regarding creature comforts and Mammon.

3) Jesus served others. Jesus exhausted Himself constantly helping other people. I imagine Jesus slept well every night, even sleeping through storms, because He gave Himself to His mission. He went back to solitary time with the Father because He needed it.

This vision of living to the full competes with my care-free fantasy, but I tend to think that Jesus' way is going to end up more fulfilling in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment