Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Top 5 of 2011: Baptisms

I thought I would try something new. I want to create a "Top 5" for 2011. What are the top 5 moments from ministry in the past year? Well, a top 5 would be really hard to come by. So instead, I will write about the top 5 themes of the year. The first is baptism.

We had a few baptisms this year, and we baptized in a few different venues. We had baptisms in our sanctuary, and we had a baptism in the waters of Lake Michigan. Both have profound meaning and deep beauty.

I recognize that, for many, baptism holds a fair amount of controversy. The practice of baptism holds some vicious memories for me as well, since Christian communities have ostracized me and my faith has even been called into question because of my infant baptism. I want to step beyond that today, only mentioning it to acknowledge that these feelings exist. But here's what I witnessed this past year.

This year, I performed my first adult baptism in Lake Michigan. It was a great moment, with members of our church surrounding a family as I baptized on its members. We waded out waste-deep into Lake Michigan, and "took the plunge" into its seasonally cool waters. In the midst of the onlookers and the waves, there was a moment that got me. I told the person being baptized, "now just let yourself fall back, and I will pull you back out." When I said those words, I realized that our entrance into life with Christ is not our work. It's not how deep we can dive or how quickly we run to the waters; at some point, it's letting go and falling into the arms of grace and knowing that we will be lifted out of death and into life. That was neat.

I also baptized infants as well, and there is a beautiful image that goes beyond facts and spoken words. A family stands before the community, professing their faith and making promises (as serious and deep as wedding vows) toward a child. A community stands around a family and makes the same vows. And then I get the (humbling) privilege of uttering God's promises found in the cross of Jesus Christ. And in baptizing this little one, we see the truth of the Gospel that God loves first, and that we belong before we believe.

I hope that we can reflect on our own baptisms today, and embrace the God who embraced us. Happy New Year.

1 comment:

  1. Andy, I was baptized in a pond in Ohio about 10 years ago. D.Z.

    ReplyDelete