Wednesday, April 4, 2012

John 18:1-27 "I am he."

What power in those words! With those three little words, the arresting mob fall back and to the ground. With those words, Jesus could have stopped the arresting mob.

The follow-up words have equal power "I am not." Those were the words of Peter when asked if he was one of Jesus' followers. They were words of denial and rejection.

Words have power, undeniable power. Words help create reality and help give meaning to our world. Jesus' words, which describe the truth (vs 23), create a world of possibilities and hope. Even in the midst of Jesus' trial, where the priests are slapping Jesus around, Jesus continues a consistent testimony to the truth.

Today I wonder about my own words, and how much my words contribute to my life. Sometimes, my words give testimony to the truth. Sometimes, they give testimony to falsehood. Either way, they help build the world in which I live and shape the way people see me. And so today, I hope to speak the truth in order to bear witness to the Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment