Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The "No-Fly Zone"

A No-Fly zone has been instituted at Leelanau Coffee Roasting Company. More specifically, the staff has taken on a very daunting task- to dissuade a local robin from attacking its own reflection in the coffee shop's mirror. The robin showed up this morning to defend its nest or something and, if the pattern holds, it will start its aerial assault on the window soon. A sign labeled "no fly zone" will soon be hung up in order to prevent the robin from seeing its reflection.

Frankly, the whole thing is absurd. The robin attacks a pane of glass because it catches a fleeting glance of itself. And it attacks itself over and over again. I wonder if, at any point, the robin tires of smashing into an opponent it clearly won't defeat. I also wonder if the robin has wondered why its opponent always does the exact same thing it does. Stupid bird.

Oh wait. This is by far not just a bird-brained pattern. This is a human pattern as well. While you have likely never attacked a window (maybe you have), you have done something just as bad. Have you ever blamed your anger on someone else? Have you ever thought to yourself "My life would be so much better if (insert someone in your life) would change?" Have you ever actually believed the pundits who say it's all "their" fault? And if so... how does that work for you?

On my better ways, I join with Psalm 139:23 in saying "Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts." I acknowledge that my anxious thoughts, my anger, is my own. And since it is my own, I am the one who has the power to change it. Consider this monologue from the Academy Award-winning movie "Crash:"

"I am angry.
Yes! At them! Yes!
At them, the police,
at Rick, at Maria,
at the dry cleaners who destroyed
another blouse today,
at the gardener who keeps
overwatering the lawn.
I...
I just thought that...
Carol, I just thought that
I would wake up today
and I would feel better, you know?
But I was still mad.
And I realized...
I realized that it had nothing
to do with my car being stolen.
I wake up like this
every morning!
I am angry all the time,
and I don't know why..."

It is at this moment in the film when the character, Jean, realizes that the hatred in her heart has nothing to do with "them" and has everything to do with her. She has the power to change, and by the end of the film, takes steps toward reconciling with the housekeeper she treats horribly.

Yes, people do bad things and wrong us, and provoke our anger. And it's also true that I wonder if we are just attacking our own reflection in the window, all while thinking we are attacking "them." So I would like to issue a no-fly zone in my heart today. I would like to not be provoked to attack you because of my own baggage. After all, it's only going to hurt. Right, Mr. Robin?

No comments:

Post a Comment