Thursday, January 21, 2010

1 John 3:1-10

Have you ever read such comforting words next to such challenging words? On the one hand, "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!" (1 John 3:1) On the other hand, "No one who lives in him keeps on sinning" (1 John 3:6). Can I pick between the two halves of this passage? Can I take the children of God without the challenge to stop sinning? I admit that when I read this passage, I start right in with the excuses. "No one can just stop sinning!" "That's impossible, where do I even start!" "God just doesn't understand how hard this is!" And that's where I'm caught. What do I mean "God just doesn't understand?" How can I say that with a straight face. Jesus took on skin and bones, Jesus pitched a tent here on Earth for a while and became our neighbor. And Jesus dealt with all of the temptations of the world. Jesus overcame all of those temptations and went on to secure for us adoption into God's family. And thank Jesus we are children of God!

But that has implications. I know that I am saved by grace, I know that I can not earn salvation. But if I am God's child, don't I want to act like my Heavenly Father? I learned recently that children take on their parents' walk. I have my dad's walk. Ask anyone who knows us both, and they will tell you that I walk like my dad. I want to "walk" like my Heavenly Father. I want to act like Jesus. I don't want to be stuck hurting myself and others, sinning against God and other children of God. I want the seed of God to grow in me so that I look to the Kingdom rather than my own kingdom. I get tired of living in the old way, and it gets me nowhere. May the Son of God destroy the work of the devil in me so that I can chase after God with all my heart (1 John 3:8).

No comments:

Post a Comment