Monday, January 25, 2010

1 John 4

How do we test the spirits?

Sometimes, the divisions in the Bible between "sections" can get in the way of understanding the great point of the whole book. Testing the spirits comes in two ways- the way of love and the way of truth.

The way of truth begins the chapter. If one were to look at my shelves in my library, you would see a decent variety. There are books I agree with, and books I don't. How often do we take time to appreciate the ideas of others? John challenges us to put the spirits to the test, because many claim to follow Christ but are actually using Christ for personal gain. It was seen in the days of the Crusades as well as in some of the churches in Nazi Germany.

The way of love finishes the chapter. And this one challenges us. Belief is one thing, action is something else. And what is really challenging is that sometimes our actions betray our true beliefs! But today is another day to start again, trying to love each person I meet. And I pray this prayer, to let God's love be formed in me so that I can love better. Let's make that our prayer for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment