Friday, April 16, 2010

Ecclesiastes 2:12-16

What is the point of wisdom? Ecclesiastes walks a very thin line in this passage, straddling wisdom being good on the one side and the depressing reality that wise people still die on the other. So what's the point?

What I love about the Scriptures, especially Ecclesiastes, is that I am challenged to question my beliefs and also examine my heart. Why do I pursue wisdom and attempt to do good rather than evil? Is it for some benefit to myself? Ecclesiastes seems to say, "Why try to be good when you will still die and your name still be forgotten" (which makes it only appropriate that the author of Ecclesiastes is hinted at, but never named).

So we ask ourselves- what do we gain by being wise (Ecc 2:15)? Do we get healthier? Sometimes. Do we get wealthier? Sometimes. Do we get more popular? Sometimes. But we can gain the same things through wickedness and folly. But do we have the heart of Christ formed in us when we embrace folly? Are we open to pray with others and serve others when we are only thinking about what benefit wisdom has for ourselves? I think the answer to both of those is no. So maybe wisdom is not the key to earthly success and happiness, but perhaps it is being involved in something greater- the mission of God.

What do you think?

1 comment: