Thursday, April 8, 2010

Proverbs 30

Proverbs 30:7-8 "Two things I ask of you, Lord, do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me, give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread."

Give me only my daily bread. What a great way to deliver our dependence on God. In God's grace, there is no savings account or debt, only continued day-by-day dependence on God.

We can't build up grace for a grace "rainy day fund" and we can't run out of grace and go into grace "debt." Indeed, we can only count on what God gives us each day. A tenet of AA and other 12 step programs is the reality of living one day at a time, and that is a concept straight from the Bible. Whether "our daily bread" in the Lord's Prayer or the manna in the wilderness, God has always been about giving us one day at a time. In fact, Jesus tells us to only consider today, because tomorrow has its own worries.

So what is God doing in us today?

No comments:

Post a Comment