Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Psalm 100

Here is a psalm specifically designed to give thanks (it even says so in the title). So as we approach Christmas, what am I thankful for? I am thankful for many things- a good place to do ministry, friends in the community who make the winter more bearable, and many good steps I see happening in ministry. I am thankful for things even more basic- a loving spouse and two great families. Most of all, I am thankful that God has made me and I am His. So when I enter the gates today, I will be thankful, remembering all that God has done, is doing and has promised for the future. For what are you thankful?

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Andy!!!! I am thankful for all the good things you've listed + children, a daughter-in-law and 3 very special granddaughters!
    A pastor that has a heart for the Lord, BIG time, a roof over our head and His provision that is way beyond what it could be.... But to be thankful when things aren't so good is something He has had to work on teaching me recently also.

    "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds..." James 1: 2 Your sermon series on James, Adult Sunday school's DVD series on "Turning your Trials to Gold" and currently, a Thursday night, small group, Bible study on James have all helped get this through my often thick skull.

    Then Paul in 2 Corinthians 12: 8 -10, talking about his thorn in the flesh..... "Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, " My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." Slowly, but surely, I'm getting it.

    And finally one other passage has helped... Philippians 4: 4-7 "Rejoice in the Lord always. Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

    Yes difficulties have often been something I wasn't very thankful about, but realizing "that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him"(Romans 8:28) has made Psalm 100 a song for my heart as well. Thanks and Godspeed for your day!!!! Steve

    ReplyDelete