Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Psalm 97

What a great and mysterious God there is! This God, whom the psalmist writes about, is at once knowable and yet mysterious, surrounded by darkness and yet with unmissable glory (verses 2 and 6). This God has a power that creation itself cannot ignore- mountains melt and the earth trembles. Yet this God is one who is concerned about the weak and the oppressed, and delivers them (verses 4-5 and 10).

My idols are easy to control, my idols are easy to figure out. I can tell you exactly how my idols act and what they will do (and what they will want me to do). Perhaps that is why I seek comfort in them rather than in God. My idols tell me what I want to hear, and they make life so simple. God tells me stories about seeds and debtors, God weaves narratives of the "bad people" being obedient and the "good people" being arrogant. God makes things messy and complicated.

When Jesus made things complicated, people left. And Jesus spoke to the disciples, saying "Are you leaving too?" I'm sure the thought crossed their minds. Yet Peter said "Where else will we go? You have the words of life." So, I am willing to live with a little messy and complicated because, at the end of the day, God sows light and joy into the faithful heart. Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment