Friday, February 18, 2011

Psalm 114

I often think about God as my sanctuary. When times are tough, I can always turn to God. When I feel outrage about the suffering of others, I can always pray to God. When I feel lost, discouraged, frustrated and confused, I find God to be my sanctuary- my holy place where I can feel completely vulnerable yet completely safe.

As I read this psalm, though, I have to allow for the possibility that the reverse is true as well- I am part of God's sanctuary. That's what Psalm 114 seems to say: The people of God are the sanctuary of God. I don't feel much like a sanctuary, I'm not sure how God would want me to be a sanctuary. Yet, I also believe this psalm to be true.

Maybe it isn't anything special about me or you that makes us a sanctuary. Perhaps God wants all creation for a sanctuary and we are only part of the beginning. When the Holy Spirit descended at Pentecost, a whole new people were born- the Church. And God has been working through and beyond this people for two thousand years. Yet, if we read closely the plan for God's future, we read that the entire world is meant to be reconciled to God. And so when we encounter grace, love, reconciliation, justice or any of the attributes of God, we are truly getting a sneak peek at the "one day" coming up when all the world will be reconciled to God.

Let's look forward to that day together.

No comments:

Post a Comment