Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Psalm 112

Psalm 112 celebrates the just person and community. And as I read the characteristics of the people involved, my mind goes back to Africa (as many things cause me to do in the past couple days). I remember the people there who have next to nothing but will give that scrap away as a sign of hospitality. They give gifts greater than the things that they have. For the people of Alale, hospitality means inviting a stranger into your home and offering (delicious) chai to your guest. It is a community that, in many ways, freely gives. It is not a society that lives in fear of its struggles. Certainly, the Alale community admits its struggles and even asks for prayers and help to get through them. Yet, the general demeanor of the people is one of great resilience and joy. Those who follow after Christ are people who live like the New Testament calls us to live.

And yet, I turn to my life, which can be dominated by fear and shame. This psalm and the lives of the Pokot people speak into my life and remind me of the great promises of God- that God's (perfect) love drives out my fear, and that God gives strength to those who live in justice. The promise to never be shaken speaks into me and gives me strength. May you be given strength and courage by this psalm today.

Oh, and it's great to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment