Thursday, March 10, 2011

Psalm 119 Daleth (25-32)

Here we find another way God uses the Word in our lives. The psalmist has been talking about the sharpening/strengthening aspects of the Word, and has been desiring the transformational power of God's Law. Now, the psalmist finds himself or herself in the lowest of situations. Life has come and dragged the psalmist down. The hunger for God's Word remains, but the hunger has changed. Now, the psalmist isn't looking for growth and renewed obedience. The psalmist is looking just to survive the day.

In the season of Lent, it can be easy to paint a picture of God that is merely the judge of right and wrong. Certainly, God is the only truly righteous judge and always does what is right. However, to limit God only to that role would be to strip the meaning from this passage. God is not only interested in judging the activities of people on earth. God also is the One who gives strength to our weariness. Even the tune "Jesus loves me" reminds me that God is strong when I am weak. In our efforts to renew our obedience to God, let's not forget that God is also near to us in our struggles, and helps us survive, even thrive, to the next day.

1 comment:

  1. I love the last part of the last verse: ..."for you have set my heart free." So many times in my despair, I forget to reflect on God's promises and the freedom that brings to my soul. Praise Him for His abundant care for us!!!!

    ReplyDelete