Thursday, March 31, 2011

Psalm 119 Samekh (113-120)

As I read this particular psalm, I am struck by the sharp distinction that the psalmist draws between wickedness (and those who indulge in it) and God's Word (and those who indulge in it). Normally, I am drawn away from such sharp us/them thinking, as anyone who will be in our worship service on Sunday will surmise. However, in this case, I think I am building a more nuanced view of what the psalmist is talking about. Part of following God does include the self-discipline to reject the things that keep us from God.

There are stories of crusader baptisms where the crusader would baptize everything but their sword arm. That way, they could commit sinful acts with the sword but still go into heaven one-armed. And I would bet that we sometimes do the same. We say, in essence to God, "You can have everything but this." It is a double-minded attitude, and hard to sustain. However, giving ourselves completely to following God offers a promise of divine sustenance (verses 116 and 117). Take this comfort with you as you try to live out the Kingdom in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment