Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Psalm 119 Mem (97-104)

I have an... emotional... relationship with food. I don't use food to squash my emotions or anything, but I LOVE a good meal. It doesn't have to be fancy- I often find my greatest delight in a greasy hamburger or Meijer brand ice cream (good thing I live in Michigan, where we have ample supply of both). And I picture this psalm section much in the same way I picture my first bite into a North Peak Wasabi Salmon Sandwich or a Pegtown Omelet or Art's Tavern's biscuits and gravy. This feeling is called absolute delight. I even recently saw a TV show that was talking about the brain stimulation that occurs when we take our first bite of a tasty meal. But far from a bite of a Garlic Parmesan whitefish from the Cove in Leland, the psalmist here finds his/her delight in God's Word- the Law.

I'm not sure that I picture this psalm well. I don't see a person with a book on the table, giddy and laughing over every word. Perhaps this is how the psalmist reads and meditates on God's Word. However, what I do see is a person at the end of the day, satisfied. No regrets, no shame, no guilt, simply satisfaction in knowing that the psalmist has lived a day to the glory of God. After all, it isn't only reading and meditating, but obeying, that sets the psalmist apart from the others. Much like being satisfied at the end of a tasty meal, the end of a day lived to the glory of God brings good rest. Now, I don't hold myself to a standard of perfection, because that would always leave me unsatisfied and without delight. However, what if I find satisfaction in a milestone or find delight in what God has done in me over the past few years? I hope you find a similar satisfaction in reading, meditating on, obeying and living God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment