Friday, June 3, 2011

Psalm 143

David, in this psalm, deals with a lot of cause and effect. Verses 7-10 are a litany of "because I did this, you do that." When I read those statements, I get a little on edge. I don't believe that God's action is dependent on ours. In fact, if this were not a biblical psalm, I would probably have called out the author on bad theology. Fortunately, I didn't do that and I am spared the embarrassment of calling out the Bible on bad theology. I'm still uncomfortable with the if-thens, but the greater context of the psalm gives me some ease.

These are things that God has promised. David does not root his petitions in misplaced entitlement (I worked hard, thus I deserve to succeed), David roots his petitions in God's faithfulness. We don't get to decide what God is faithful to, God does. And God made promises to David, as well as all of God's people, that we can count on.

What are some of the promises that we are offered as God's people?

No comments:

Post a Comment