Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Psalm 150

This psalm is a language student's dream. There are so many great words in this psalm. I would like to isolate three: in, for, with.
http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
In: I love the word in. It gives me a place to think about. In this case, the place is in God's sanctuary and God's mighty heavens. It would be easy for me to read this psalm and think that my prayers make it to God's sanctuary, nestled in the mighty heavens. But that's not what I read. I read that I am in God's sanctuary. This is what is depicted on the dome ceiling of a Greek Orthodox Church. (Here's an example: click here.) And there's only one way into the highest heaven, where God dwells- invitation. This psalm implies that we are invited into God's home. And this was 1000 years before Paul would write that we have a home in heaven (2 Corinthians 5:1). I love the word in, it tells me that God has opened His home to me.
For: Another way to say it would be "because." Worship does not happen in a vacuum, nor is it an attempt to bribe the gods (a common belief at the time of this psalm). God does not require it, it is actually our response to the good that God has done. I don't need to re-hash my belief that worship comes out of the story of God, but it is nice to mention it here.
With: My favorite word of the psalm, in tight competition with "in." With is a great word. With implies how we do it. Consider how we embrace this rhythm of praise - movement and instruments. Words aren't even mentioned. I want words to be mentioned, because I love words (seen by my daily blog participation), but they aren't. This worship is embodied. It involves creation (via instruments and "everything that has breath") and my body. I usually stand still in worship. One day, apparently, this will not be so. Does this mean I will dance this coming Sunday? Maybe, although probably not. Does this mean I will involve my body in worship? Absolutely. It probably feels left out.

Well, there you go. Three words, the last psalm. Let's see tomorrow where we end up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment