Thursday, June 9, 2011

Psalm 145

I can't believe I did it. I have a guinea pig named Kosher, and he is one of the most care-free pets in the world. I feed him twice, take him out of his cage to run around every once and a while, and clean the cage out once a week.

And yet, two weeks ago, I did it. I forgot to feed Kosher during one of his feedings. PETA would be very upset. It was 11:00 at night before I gave him his 4:30-5:00 feeding. Now, I am sure that Kosher went through a roller coaster of emotions before being fed. There was probably some anger and resentment. However, when I got there, all I saw was Kosher climbing up the side of his cage (as he always does) waiting for his food. You see, while Kosher has a pretty good idea of the time he gets fed, what really triggers his "I'm gonna get food!" response is me coming home. His time, his schedule, his world revolves around me (or Heather) getting his food.

In this psalm, we are introduced to a new way of orienting our lives. This kind of life is oriented around God and God's promises. And it's not a bad way to go- after all, God never forgets to feed us, or forgets to rescue us. While sometimes we need to wait for God's perfectly-timed response, we never have to wait wondering if God really heard us or really cares.

Therefore, praise is our response. Praise is for our benefit, not God's. God does not require praise to boost the divine ego, nor does God need praise to charge any divine batteries. God enjoys our worship, but it's really a way for us to express the meaning that God and God's actions have had in our lives and our life together. So, sometime today, try to lift up some praise to the one who has fed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment