Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Amos 8

I don't know about you, but when I read from verses 11 through the end of the chapter, I got chills. A famine of hearing the words of the Lord, a famine of God's presence in many ways. What I find most fascinating about this chapter, though, is that it directly follows a passage where a priest (a designated representative of the people in matters of God) rejects the words of the Lord. Sometimes it is true that a person does not appreciate what is there until it is gone.

As Israel went into exile, their cry became to never ignore the words of the prophets again. Ezra has an extended prayer service after the exile to return to God. Nehemiah, before beginning his work to rebuild fallen Jerusalem, prays and confesses that this particular generation ignored the words of the prophets. Times got so desperate that people were willing to listen to just about anyone. In fact, when Jesus arrived on the scene, people were already talking about other "Messiahs" who had been defeated (Barabbas, Theudas, Judas the Galilean- Acts 5:36-37).

So I read this passage and wonder sometimes where my hunger for God's Word is. I read about people wandering all directions looking for God wherever they can, and perhaps I am spoiled. After all, if I want God's Word, I have several editions and versions of the Bible on my bookshelves, in my car, in my computer case. But I pray for me as well as for all of us that we would experience this hunger for God's Word and that we would find that it truly does satisfy. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Amos begs the question..... Isn't God in the Old Testament quite different than He is in the New Testament? I've been asked recently(by several people)about this. What do you say??? ( :

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me God hasn't changed. He loves us and will do anything in His power to have what we were created for, relationship with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...

    Good question. Some certainly look at God's actions at the exile and what the prophets say about God and say "that's not the God I know from Jesus!" I will try, acknowledging that I will not get it all right, to say that God did not change with the birth of Jesus. However, God's relationship with the world is different.

    "I, the Lord, do not change" says God in Malachi 3:6. God's testimony is that God's character is unchanging. And in Amos, we see God's character from a different angle. And I think that's part of the point of Amos 9, that Israel wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted to be liberated by God from Egypt's oppression; but when they were oppressive, they did not understand when God freed the people they oppressed. What happens when God's people become the villains? Amos. But part of the point of Amos is that we are all heroes and villains, often in the same moments. Just as "God's people" is not confined to a single ethnic or socio-economic group.

    If anything has changed, it is the relationship of God to people as seen in Jesus Christ. With the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, we are all seen by God through the lens of Jesus. This indeed is the grace we have. We are given the promise of a new covenant (or new relationship) that is based in Jesus. God not only sees you when God looks at you, but also sees Jesus and Christ's work on the cross.

    I hope that my answer came out somewhat clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the qualities of God is His Immutability- He doesn't change, but the way He relates to us in time. He doesn't change-We Do! Jan Psalm 102:25-27

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your responses. They've been great and insightful!!!!

    And thanks be to God, for His everlasting Word and the fact that we still have it!!!! As Andy pointed out in his original comments it truly does satisfy, but I, for one, neglect It way more than I should. Thank you Father for the grace You extend, through Your Son Jesus, to us every moment of every day.

    I do believe, as Jan said, God is immutabile(wow, what a big word, Webster defines it as "not capable of or susceptible to change") Several passages of scripture indicate so:

    "But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever..." Psalm 33:11

    "But You remain the same....." Psalm 102:27(Jan referenced above)

    " I the Lord do not change." Malachi 3:6(Pastor Andy referenced above)

    "....But You remain the same..." Hebrews 1:12

    "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8

    "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17

    When difficult questions(like the one above) are posed, I often find myself standing on His precious promises like these, and humbly acknowledging that I don't know all the answers, but as Sallie said, I know He loves me with a perfect love(because He is perfect) and wants a love relationship with me and you that is indescribable. Thank you Father again for Your everlasting love!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete