Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Proverbs 1

I don't know about you, but I like to picture Biblical passages, especially the Old Testament passages, and wonder what kind of imagery they actually present. Wisdom is a female character in Proverbs, so I picture her standing in Times Square at peak busy-ness. People are trying to get to meetings, do some shopping, and generally fight the crowds to get to their destination. And Wisdom stands there trying to slow the pace down, trying to help people see the reality that life is not all about what we can get for ourselves. And she is trying to help people stop for a moment and take time for God and God's wisdom. But the crowds keep moving. She can't get anyone to talk to her. Some think she's crazy. Others think she's asking for money, so they throw a few coins at her to make her go away. Others think she's too loud, too pushy, so they write her off as a fanatic.

But maybe one person will stop and say "I don't want to hate knowledge. I'm tired to these self-destructive ways. What do I do?" And Wisdom will say, "let's grab a cup of coffee somewhere and we can talk about it" (in my picture, Wisdom likes coffee too). And while the crowds push and surge in an assembly line of empty lives, these two people sit down at a table and have the most important discussion of their lives.

Who is that person? Who will it be today? Maybe we can be one of those people. Maybe. Wisdom is on the streets of Glen Arbor, standing right outside the Leelanau Coffee Roasting Company. Will I invite her to my table for a cup of coffee and the most important discussion of my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment