Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Psalm 107

God is my rescuer. Thanks be to God!

Here is a psalm of many rescues attributed to God. I am especially grateful that God rescues the fool, or else I would be in a lot of trouble. The pattern of the psalm seems to be "people loved by God - bad situation - cry out for help - deliverance," and that calls to mind a powerful question for me: when do I cry out for help? Is it when I am in the middle of the tempest, or at death's gate, or trapped in bitterness? Or, as this psalm beckons me to, do I recognize that every day could be the day of the tempest or the bitterness or death's gate? And therefore, I should cry out each and every day.

After all, on my best days, I am a prideful, narcissistic, compulsive people-pleaser. On my worst days... well, suffice it to say that I am worse. And while the Holy Spirit bears good fruit in my life, if the Spirit vanished, so would the good fruit. And so today, I invite God into the dark and faithless parts of me to create something new. Amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment