Friday, April 22, 2011

Psalm 124

This is one of my favorite psalms. It dares me to ask the question about God's presence in my life. Where would I be without God? On my journey through life, it can be easy to think that I am a self-made man, that my hard work and dedication got me this far. In fact, I would even be encouraged in this belief by our general culture. But what if I really stepped back and took a look- where would I be without God?

For one, I would still be a nasty and cruel person. Natural maturity would have changed me somewhat- but aging is mandatory, maturity is a choice. I would still be the kind of person who needed you to know that if necessary, I would embarrass and humiliate you to establish some kind of superiority.

For two, that would have caught up with me one day. As it should. And I can't imagine what that would have been like without grace.

For three, who knows what track life would have taken? I have described in other places the miracles surrounding my life, and without them, I can't imagine where I would be.

That's only in my life- this psalm is a psalm for the journey and for the community. I can only wonder where we would be without God. Anyway, as you journey toward Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday, reflect on where you would be without God.

No comments:

Post a Comment