Friday, April 29, 2011

Psalm 128

As we continue in the pilgrimage, Psalm 128 shows us that we are practically at the gates of Jerusalem. "May you see the prosperity of Jerusalem" is the blessing from the psalmist. And as you approach Zion, the house of God, the center of the world and the source of all blessing, it begins to take impact on your life.

God is not only interested in your devotional time and prayer life. God is involved in the whole thing, and is a source of blessing. Even when it doesn't seem that way.

Israel could hardly say that they were constantly in a state of blessing and prosperity. They probably had less than a hundred years of prosperity in the 2000 years between Abraham and Jesus. The rest were times of wrestling.

However, blessing is about more than super-abundance. Most of the world lives in extreme poverty. Blessing is also about contentment. The psalmist's definition of blessing is happiness in one's family and being productive. It's a simple definition, and not exhaustive to the Bible, but it's one that works for me today. Can I be content in my family and my work? Since I'm going on vacation today, I think so ;)

Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I have been looking for a definition of blessing. It is so commonly used. One definition I found was "internal happiness", but I am still looking.
    Joy, D.Z.

    ReplyDelete