Saturday, March 31, 2012

John 16:1-15 "Guided into all truth"

All truth. Anyone else comfortable with half-truths? I am exceptionally okay with half-truths sometimes. I believe we are conditioned toward half-truths. And it is easy to find proof for half-truths. After all, there is some truth in a half-truth. Just not all truth.

Sometimes, I am all-too-aware of my shortcomings. Fascinatingly, I can find plenty of proof to fuel the inner voice "You suck." In the past three days, I have had deeply encouraging conversations or messages from four different people. These are people who are lifting a truth that is better than my half-truth. And yet I cling to my half-truth. I say "If you only knew me, you would know the truth." Self-deception is a beast sometimes.

But what if? What if I am the one with the half-truth? What if people aren't lying to me when they encourage me? What if the whole truth is deeper than my own perceptions?

The full truth is that the inner "You suck" voice is a lie. After all, my identity is not formed by my behavior- it's not even formed by me (see previous posts). My identity is formed by the Spirit, who is guiding us toward all truth, ultimately the Truth who is Jesus. And grace tells me that my identity is based completely in the promise of God to seek and to save, to multiply and to bless, all because of the sake of Jesus.

Have you believed a half-truth? What is the full truth about who God is and who you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment