Saturday, March 10, 2012

John 6:60-71 "Where Else Would I Go?"

Following Jesus can be frustrating. Jesus never guarantees worldly success in return for obedience; in fact, Jesus often talks about the opposite. Jesus never says "do good, and good will happen to you." Jesus says "Blessed are you when you are reviled because of me." Seriously? What kind of religion did I get myself caught up in? Why would I actively choose this path, even make it my career path?

But where else would I go? As frustrating as following Jesus can be, where else could I go and find the words of life? Where else would I go to find the deep transformation of self and world? Where else would I go to connect with the Lord of the universe? Where else would I go to see healing happen, lives changed? I know that people find change outside of Christianity, and I don't claim that life change only happens within my faith tradition.

But what I do know is that Jesus is Lord. What I do know is that this world was not designed for my comfort and success, but for Christ's sucess. What I do know is that the words of life sustain me when I am worried about the future or ashamed of the past. What I do know is that I find peace at Jesus' feet, and encouragement. Therefore, I will never allow my frustrations, fear or shame take my feet away from the path that leads to Jesus.

What do you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment