Friday, September 3, 2010

Psalm 53

As I listened to this psalm in lectio divina, a particular form of Bible listening, a couple words jumped out at me. The directions were jumping out- "turned away" "come out from" or "looks down from." However, what really got me was the phrase "there was nothing to dread." And God spoke through that phrase in my final reading to see that in God there is nothing to dread. Even though God is described in this psalm as one who "scatters the bones," there is nothing to dread. There is much in my life that I dread- what people think about me, if I'm living a life of integrity, if I'm doing my best, etc. In God, those fears ultimately melt away. It is when I turn away that I am filled with dread. It is when I am the center of my world that the smallest things seem so big. Indeed, when God is the center and following God my aim, my deepest fears seem trivial. I hope that you found benefit in this psalm as well.

1 comment:

  1. Only when I hold God tight do I realy know I am ok. I like when I'm doing my best-- is it ok to just be.

    ReplyDelete