Thursday, September 9, 2010

Psalm 56

Of all the phrases in this psalm, many are familiar. There is one that jumps out for me at least, and that comes from verse 8: "Record my lament; list my tears on your scroll, are they not in your record?" Another way to translate that phrase would be "put my tears in your wineskin." God collects our lamentation, either by record or the gathering of tears. What does that say about God?

God does not forget our times of trial. God does not turn a blind eye to pain and suffering. The listing of our lament is a sign of God's presence in a broken and painful world. So God walks with us in all the circumstances of life. God also rescues us in our circumstances from being overwhelmed completely. So I suppose, if this psalm reminds me of anything, it is to put my trust in God and to remember to praise God for my rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment