Thursday, September 16, 2010

Psalm 60

Now here's something we are encountering for the first time in the Psalms. If you take a chance to read the title, we are told that this psalm is meant "for teaching." I almost missed it the first time. So what does this psalm teach us? Perhaps a better question would be "What does this psalm teach me?"

In lyrical form, I am reminded to never take lightly the idea that God is, "on my side." That would claim that God stands behind me and defends my causes and passions. Instead, I should be asking the self-reflective (and much more difficult) question if I am on the Lord's side. And to go even father, do I assume that God only has one side and there are only two sides to every conflict? Is God so small that God only exists with one group at a time?

This psalm starts with the rejection by God of the people of Israel. It is credited to David's time, but probably became even more real in the exile. This would present a powerful question to the people of God- are they still the people of God, or has God chosen the side of the enemy? And the prophets, communicating in human terms, can only go so far in expressing the nature of God. At times, the counsel of God is that the Israelites are done being the people of God- terms like divorce are sometimes used (Jeremiah 3:8, Isaiah 50:1). Yet, the welcoming back of Israel into the fold of God that takes place occurs in those same books (Isaiah 49:8, Jeremiah 30:1-3). So what is it?

Perhaps it is more complicated than just "which side is God's." God is bigger than our schemes and our plans, than our sides and our struggles. God works among us when we are on top as well as when we are on bottom. God tears and God mends. God is our help, and God is our king. God gives grace, and God sharpens. Praise be to the God who is bigger than all of our understanding, hopes and dreams!

1 comment:

  1. I like what you wrote . God really really loves us a lot.

    ReplyDelete