Friday, July 2, 2010

Psalm 24

Here is another psalm that is quoted often. Not by the New Testament, per say, but by songwriters throughout the century. I think of songs that say "Give us clean hands, give us pure hearts... let us not lift our souls to another..." or "O God let us be | a generation that seeks... that seeks your face, O God of Jacob" or "Lift up your heads, O gates | lift up your heads, O ancient doors | prepare the way, prepare the way, the King is coming through..." or even a song that begins "Who is this king of glory?" Whether you know it or not, we love this psalm. We sing of this psalm often and in many ways, as we should. This psalm talks about the world as God's beloved creation, God's people are called to holiness and an attitude of seeking God's face. And God is given the glory and credit that God deserves.

I pray that as we read this psalm, that we may find appreciation for all creation. I pray that we may seek God's face and be open to finding a God beyond our imagination.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning!!!! As I read the first 2 verses of this psalm, I was reminded of Robert Webber's comments in "The Divine Embrace" about water baptism being a sign of our new birth in Christ and how water existed in the beginning before anything else. This psalm, as well as Genesis 1: 1-2, testify to that.

    I was baptized as an infant, but not after I became a believer. I think I need to do this. Maybe we can talk further about it during the study of "The Divine Embrace".

    ReplyDelete