Monday, July 19, 2010

Psalm 32

In thinking about forgiveness, I have to admit that I've never thought about being surrounded by songs of deliverance (verse 7). I imagine the Underground Railroad, where delivered slaves sang songs of freedom and worship to God. It reminds me that forgiveness is a community experience. We often think of forgiveness as a one-on-one experience with God. Yet we are the redeemed people of God, a community called together by God under the common banner of God's redemption.

We can celebrate this redemption together as a community when we come together and worship. We acknowledge the brokenness of the world, the strength-sapping circumstances of life (verse 4). We lift up this brokenness and acknowledge our contribution to it, and we too receive God's blessing. As you go to worship this week, wherever it may be, I pray that you are surrounded in songs of deliverance and experience the power of God in the community of God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment