Thursday, July 22, 2010

Psalm 34

Now here is a great psalm located in a particular time. David meets up with Abimelech, a feared enemy, and doesn't know what to do. So he pretends to be insane, even foaming at the mouth. Abimelech pities him and sends him away, causing David to write this psalm.

How many of us have been at our wits' end? How many of us have been up between a rock and a hard place? We know the situation of David, even if we haven't faked insanity to escape. As the psalm progresses to its worshipful end, remembering promise after promise, we begin to see words that echo in our hearts. "God is near to the brokenhearted" (verse 18) is one phrase that sticks in my heart. I pray I never forget it. It reminds me of God's care for those who live persistently brokenhearted, and also that God is gracious to me when I have a broken heart.

This psalm also reminds me that God can be this comforting presence through me. When I "turn from evil and do good" and "seek peace and pursue it," it is not I that lives but Christ living in me. Thank you Jesus, for acting through our actions to be near to all who are hurting.

No comments:

Post a Comment